Wednesday, October 22, 2008

w00t! Social Enterprise and Peak Oil?

Check out this social enterprise in Chicago called Growing Home. It's an urban incarnation of my father's dream come true: growing vegetables, job training, and help for people with problems.

Their mission from the website: "Since its inception, Growing Home has worked towards this by providing a transitional job program that lets previously-incarcerated and previously-homeless individuals prepare to re-enter the workforce not only by teaching job skills, but also by providing the chance to engage in what is for many a transformational experience. Our program is different from other workforce development programs because of our intense focus on the transformational possibilities inherent in learning to nurture and grow one’s own food. "

I've been thinking about doomsday and how my survival could be dependent on my ability to grow my own food, after hearing about Peak Oil in an Urban Planning class I visited. These Growing Home people are on the right track if Peak Oil is even close to being true.

2 comments:

Crystal | The Indo Projects said...

Thanks for sharing this with me! I want to watch that documentary...was it by Rob Newman? ps: growing home sounds great! I can't believe that its so close and i have never heard of it.

r. said...

Howdy - found your blog when looking over the Growing Home stats this morning and saw some trackbacks. Thanks so much for posting about us - don't hesitate to get in touch for a tour of one of our urban farms sometime! - Rebekah