Thursday, June 04, 2009

Cook with Math

Food

Cookbook foes, there is a new anti-cookbook cookbook for you! Ratio: The Simple Codes Behind the Craft of Everyday Cooking provides formulas that promise to set you free from the bondage of recipes. An example:

Pie dough = 3 parts flour: 2 parts fat : 1 part water. Roux = 3 parts flour : 2 parts fat. Sausage = 3 parts meat : 1 part fat.

I am a slave to recipes, I admit. I've been trying to figure out why for years. My mother and grandmother also cook with recipes. My friends from more traditional cultures (Asian, Middle Eastern) don't use recipes and while I envy them, I generally stick to the book.

I haven't read this book yet, but I will post again when I do. Wanted to get the buzz out of there on it.

Politics

A shout out to Obama for a great speech in Cairo today.

No comments: